Jobs To Do In March
March is the month where things really kick off. You start to sow a lot of seeds, plant early potatoes, and it's generally when the days get noticeably longer.
It marks the end of winter, and the buds are starting to emerge, birds are singing and preparing their nests ready for laying their eggs.
Tulips, Daffodils and other spring bulbs are emerging and producing bright displays of colour that has been a long time coming. This month should start to bring in the drier weather so we can all finally catch up with the prep work missed during the very wet winter we have had.
Sow the following this month:
- Broad Beans
- Brussels Sprouts
- Globe Artichokes
- Salad leaves
- Swiss Chard
Jobs To Do In Now
- Start off tender tubers such as Yams, sweet potatoes and oca undercover and in pots
- Pot on plants accordingly
- Use room temp tap water for your seedlings, NOT rain water
- Ventilate greenhouse to prevent condensation which can cause mould to form
- Water seed trays from below not from above
- Make 100 hr candles, (see our How to section)
- Prune back over hanging trees and shrubs
- March is the last chance to get bare root fruit trees in
- hand pollinate any early blooms appearing on your peaches
- Mulch fruit beds to keep down weeds
- A great time to prune Blueberries
- Apply top dressing to plums and cooking apple trees
- Start sowing herbs to build a new herb bed
- Chit potatoes
- Build new greenhouses
- Order your compost ready for all the sewing you will be doing
So you have plenty to be getting on with this month. March is the engine of the growing year, Don't fall behind with sowing this month and remember it's much better to sew smaller amounts on a fortnightly basis for successional cropping. Don't forget to visit our Youtube Channel
Get yourself out to your gardens and when you're at home spend some time getting to know people through one of our many platforms.
We will see you there!!